The following features were implemented to earn the Energy Star rating for the RTP data center:
- 74 degreesF average supply air temperature: Using a higher temperature threshold on supply air (74 degreesF instead of 55 degrees to 60 degreesF) allows NetApp to dramatically reduce cooling costs.
- Airside economizer: The data center is cooled by using just outside air (free cooling) 67% of the time during the year.
- Pressure-controlled room: Modulating fans, based on NetApp's proprietary technology, supply pressure-controlled rooms and regulate the volume of air to avoid oversupplying air and wasting energy.
- Cold aisle containment: The cold room separates the cold and hot air streams to protect supply air temperatures from being affected by hot air returning from the racks.
- Overhead air distribution: Instead of pumping cold air up through the floors (raised floors), overhead air distribution takes advantage of cold/hot air buoyancy and eliminates ductwork, reducing the energy needed for fans.