Maxtor has released what the vendor claims to be the industry's highest capacity workgroup-class storage server, the 640 GB MaxAttach NAS 4300. It is also available in a 480 GB configuration.
The new models are enhancements to the original NAS 4300 that began shipping in July 2001. The storage servers have evaluation copies of MaxAttach EMS and MaxAttach SVS software. The EMS product is purported to help manage the growth of e-mail volume by automatically offloading e-mail data from Microsoft Exchange and Lotus Domino servers to the MaxAttach NAS 4300 storage servers, providing more storage capacity to save messages and attachments. MaxAttach SVS software is intended to ease IT management overhead by consolidating server storage into a single, virtual storage pool.
Maxtor asserts that they also enhance data availability with Persistent Storage Manager software that allows administrators to periodically record a "snapshot" of the storage server's entire disk volume. If a file is inadvertently erased, the stored image or single file can be accessed for instant recovery.
Other key features of the MaxAttach NAS 4300 include:
- Pentium III 866MHz processor
- 384 MB SDRAM
- High Availability and Data Protection -- including Persistent Storage Manager snapshot utility, and RAID levels 0, 1, and 5 data protection.
- Standard network interfaces include dual 10/100 Ethernet and Gigabit Ethernet, and a SCSI port for local tape backup.
- Cross-Platform File Sharing includes support for Windows, UNIX/Linux, Macintosh and NetWare clients.
- 24 x 7 telephone technical support.
Maxtor's MaxAttach NAS 4300 480 GB and 640 GB models are priced at $4,499 and $5,499 MSRP and are now available worldwide.
Pricing for MaxAttach EMS software is $4,999. MaxAttach SVS software pricing starts at $1,149. Maxtor is offering a 30-day free trial for both software products, after which a license can be purchased from authorized resellers.
The MaxAttach EMS and MaxAttach SVS software is pre-loaded on the new NAS 4300 models. The software can also be downloaded to currently installed MaxAttach storage servers.